More adults than ever are undergoing treatments for braces as orthodontics become more accessible and less of a hassle in everyday life. A recent study showed that people with straight teeth are rated higher on scores for leadership and social interaction. Our 'Ask the Expert' Specialist Orthodontist Dr Murtuza dispels some common myths about braces:
- Myth 1 — I’m too old. The oldest patient we have treated was a woman in her 70s. Adults make up 50% of all patients treated at The Brace.
- Myth 2 — I must be vain to have braces. Many adults are actually concerned with teeth moving over time and changes to their bite which affects their eating patterns. Straight teeth are also easier to clean and help with strong gums.
- Myth 3 — Everyone will know I am wearing metal braces. Nowadays braces are so technologically advanced that around 75% of our adult treatments are done with nearly invisible braces like Invisalign.
- Myth 4 — I had braces as a teenager so I can’t/won’t be able to have them again. Many patients who had treatment either didn’t complete it or didn’t wear their retainers so their teeth have moved but these can all be corrected again.
- Myth 5 — It’s too costly. There are interest free payment plans and you can spread the payments during the treatment period.
Profile of Specialist Orthodontist Dr Murtuza Hasnaini
Dr Murtuza received his training at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry which is one of the leading medical schools in the UK. He has treated over 10,000 orthodontic patients over the last 15 years.
Every year Dr Murtuza gives lectures to general dentists who have less experience in tooth straightening and they routinely refer patients to him.